Falkland Presbyterian Church History
The first sermon was preached in Falkland by Rev. J.N.H. Summerell on the
fourth Sunday in August, 1887. He was at that time the pastor for Tarboro,
Rocky Mount, and Wilson Presbyterian Churches. On the 12th day of November,
1892, the first and oldest Presbyterian Church in Pitt County, NC, was
organized. Twelve persons, four males and eight females were received with
two baptized children. The Falkland Church was the host-mother church for the
now First Presbyterian church of Greenville, NC.
This came to pass primarily because of a desire of one person, Miss Mattie
Mayo, daughter of Dr. Mayo a physician and head of a large family from
Falkland. While as a student at Peace Institute in Raleigh, NC, Miss Mayo was
attracted by the general quality of the Presbyterian preaching and the
simplicity of their style and was instrumental in making arrangements for the
first sermon preached in Falkland by Rev. Summerell.
During the first 53 years, 319 people became members of Falkland Presbyterian
Church with the majority of them united by profession of faith.
On April 16, 1933, the existing church building debt was paid in full and was
dedicated. Rev. H.M. Wilson was called to become pastor. Since that time,
many renovations and additions have been made to the church building. Many
faithful saints have departed and many more added over the years.
Back to Pitt County Church Information and Research
Return to Pitt County Page